Note for Parents/Guardians 10/2/19
We want to start by thanking you for supporting your son or daughter as a member of our AHSTW First Lego League team. Below are some updates we want to make sure you are aware of.
- REGIONAL COMPETITION: Our competition will be Saturday, December 14th at Oakland, IA Impact Hill. The exact schedule is TBD, and we have included a link to the schedule page on our electronic calendar. Family is welcome to attend the competitions and they typically start around 8AM and go until sometime in the middle of the afternoon.
- UPDATED ELECTRONIC CALENDAR: Now that we know the competition date we have updated our electronic calendar. You can see the calendar by clicking on the "2019-2020 Calendar" link below.
- Please note that there will not be practice on November 7th due to Parent/Teacher conferences and that practices will go until 5:00 PM during December.
- FIRST LEGO LEAGUE REGISTRATION: We have almost everyone signed up for the First Lego League Registration. That was the registration you received via email from First. Thank you for completing that.
- REGIONAL EVENT CONSENT FORM: In addition to the First Lego League registration each competition requires parents to fill out a consent form. Below in the "Regional Event Consent Form" section you can read more about the consent form. There is a link that has a form for you to fill out to give consent for the event. Like the First Lego League registration, they will not allow the students to compete without a completed form. Some of the questions ask for information you may not know, we have included the information for those questions at the bottom of the section.
If you have any questions please let us know.
Coaches: Mrs. Breyfogle and Mr. Smith
Schedules and Team Information
Regional Event Consent Form
Consent Forms: Every team member, coach and mentor will need to complete an electronic consent form through Iowa FLL. Consent forms are required for participation in an event. Using the link below, please have these consent forms completed by October 16. Consider sending this link to parents (including your team’s team number) or having it open at the start or end of your team’s next practice for parents to fill out.
Iowa FLL Consent form to be filled out by every team member, coach and mentor: https://isek.wufoo.com/forms/s1k1iq1x042yxvv/
Information for the consent form:
- Team Number: 13488
- Team City: Avoca
- Coach Name: Angela Breyfogle and Ryan Smith
- The participant's role with FIRST: Youth FLL Team Member
First Lego League RegistrationGreetings from FIRST LEGO League.! This invitation was sent on behalf of Ryan Smith, who is the of the AHSTW Viking Masterminds team. Their team number is 13488. As the Parent/Guardian, they would like to extend to you an invitation for your child to join their FIRST®team. To do so, please follow these steps: 1. If you are a new parent, register a parent account on our website, entering your information. If you already have an account, please log in. Forgot your password? No problem, just click here to reset your password. 2. Once you're logged in to your parent account, select the "Parent/Guardian - Youth" tab on your dashboard.a. If the child applying to this team is listed, open their "YOUTH OPTIONS" drop list, select "Apply Youth to a Team", and enter the program and team number found in the beginning of this email. b. If the child applying to this team is not listed, select the "ADD A YOUTH" button and fill out the forms with your child's information, school information, and team information (found at the beginning of this email). 3. To accept your youth's Consent & Release form, please click "Youth Options" and select "Youth's Consent & Release form" and click the "Accept" box at the bottom of the form.That's it! If you have any questions, check out the Youth Registration System Overview page, or give us a call.
Sincerely,FIRST® Team Members Support
Lego League Information
AHSTW Community School District
- AHSTW Viking Masterminds *State Qualifiers
- V-Tech Splashers *State Qualifiers
- Viking Brick Builders
Walnut Community School District
- *State Qualifiers
We express the FIRST philosophies of Gracious Professionalism and Coopertition through our Core Values:
- Discovery: We explore new skills and ideas.
- Innovation: We use creativity and persistence to solve problems.
- Impact: We apply what we learn to improve our world.
- Inclusion: We respect each other and embrace our differences.
- Teamwork: We are stronger when we work together.
- Fun: We enjoy and celebrate what we do!
The only points in FLL are with the scoring of their robot performance on the playing field. In judging, teams are evaluated based on the rubric that you received back. Judges provide this feedback to all teams and then join with other judges in a deliberations process at the end of the event to determine overall winners through their individual findings in their judging room and then discussing what they saw as their “best” team with the other judges. This helps normalize in order to determine the best teams overall that are invited to advance and/or receive the Champion’s award, and then individual award categories. The judging process is qualitative, not quantitative.