Director of Technology: Ryan Smith
712-343-6364 Ext. 7505 (No unsolicited calls from vendors please)
AHSTW is dedicated to using educational technology to help improve student achievement. Our district is has a 1:1 iPad program for grades 1st through 6th and a 1:1 laptop program for grades 7th through 12th. We use interactive boards, interactive tables, 3D printers and many other educational technologies to work with our students.
COPPA Compliance and Consent Forms
GoGuardian COPPA Disclosure & Consent Form
Regarding Student Personal Information
Last Updated: December 2, 2016
Because your school is utilizing GoGuardian’s products (“Products”), GoGuardian is required to provide you information about our collection and use practices regarding personally identifiable information of students under thirteen (13) years of age under the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (“Disclosure”). See Federal Trade Commission’s COPPA FAQs.
Collection of Personal Student Information
GoGuardian may collect Personal Student Information provided by you, your school, or a student for your school’s educational purposes. Specifically, GoGuardian will collect students' names and email addresses. Depending on your school's selected Products and settings, additional information may be collected including the student’s school-managed account information (e.g., Google Profile ID, Google Image URL, organizational unit), student browsing history, IP address, messages between teachers and students during class time, screenshots, and device identifiers. GoGuardian may also collect the geographic location of devices and/or accounts subject to a school's higher level management (i.e., accounts managed by the school's Google Admin console), which a school can use for limited school purposes such as locating and recovering its devices.
GoGuardian does not access or store geographic login locations of mobile phones. The information collected may change if a school utilizes new features and Products. The Products generally do not access or store student-generated content. However, students may create or store student-generated content through GoGuardian Teacher.
Use of Personal Student Information
GoGuardian may use Personal Student Information to provide the Products, including, allowing students to access the Products, restricting access to certain websites, as well as enabling teachers to distribute educational material, view student activity, and exchange messages with their students. GoGuardian may use Personal Student Information such as device identifiers, cookies, or IP addresses to improve and understand usage of the Products.
We may use, transfer, and disclose non-personal information (data that does not, on its own, permit direct association with students’ identities) for any purpose. For example, we may aggregate and use information regarding usage of the Products to help us understand which parts of the Products that are of most interest to schools. Aggregated data is considered non-personal information.
Please note that GoGuardian does not use Personal Student Information to target advertisements or market to students or anyone else, or for any purposes prohibited by the Family Educational and Privacy Rights Act (20 U.S.C. § 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99.3) (“FERPA”), California Business & Professions Code section 22584 (“SOPIPA”), and California Education Code section 49073.1. We also do not sell Personal Student Information. Also, as a company committed to student privacy, we have also signed the Student Privacy Pledge.
Disclosure of Personal Student Information to Third Parties
Depending on your school's selection of Products and selected settings within the Products, your students may share information with teachers, administrators, and other school leaders. GoGuardian may provide Personal Student Information to certain companies that provide services on our behalf such as information processing,and customer support technologies. We may also disclose Personal Student Information about your students if we determine that disclosure is reasonably necessary to enforce our terms and conditions or protect our operations or users; to comply in good faith with any law enforcement, legal, or regulatory process; or with your consent and/or at your direction. Additionally, in the event of a reorganization, merger, or sale, we may transfer any and all Personal Student Information you provide to the relevant party.
Access, Correction, and Deletion of Personal Student Information
If you have any questions or concerns regarding this Disclosure, or if you would like to access, correct, or delete Personal Student Information, please contact us at email@example.com.
Consent to GoGuardian's Collection, Use and Disclosure of Student Personal Information
By your school submitting payment (regardless of whether the payment is provided by you, your billing/accounting office, or other department) to GoGuardian, your school is consenting to GoGuardian’s collection, use, and disclosure of Personal Student Information as set forth in this Disclosure, and you represent and warrant that you have legal authority to provide this consent on behalf of each student. You understand that your school will be able to use the Products made available to them in connection with your students, subject to your school’s selected Product and settings.
Google for Education Accounts Parent Consent
At AHSTW Community School District, we use G Suite for Education, and we are seeking your permission to provide and manage a G Suite for Education account for your child. G Suite for Education is a set of education productivity tools from Google including Gmail, Calendar, Docs, Classroom, and more used by tens of millions of students and teachers around the world. At AHSTW Community School District, students will use their G Suite accounts to complete assignments, communicate with their teachers, sign into their Chromebooks, and learn 21st century digital citizenship skills.
The notice below provides answers to common questions about what Google can and can’t do with your child’s personal information, including:
- What personal information does Google collect?
- How does Google use this information?
- Will Google disclose my child’s personal information?
- Does Google use student personal information for users in K-12 schools to target advertising?
- Can my child share information with others using the G Suite for Education account?
I give permission for AHSTW Community School District to create/maintain a G Suite for Education account for my child and for Google to collect, use, and disclose information about my child only for the purposes described in the notice below.
Ryan Smith, Director of Technology
Full name of student
Printed name of parent/guardian
Signature of parent/guardian Date
[G Suite for Education Notice to Parents and Guardians - Google recommends not editing this section except for replacing highlighted text with your school’s info]
G Suite for Education Notice to Parents and Guardians
This notice describes the personal information we provide to Google for these accounts and how Google collects, uses, and discloses personal information from students in connection with these accounts.
Using their G Suite for Education accounts, students may access and use the following “Core Services” offered by Google (described at https://gsuite.google.com/terms/user_features.html):
- Gmail (including Inbox by Gmail)
What personal information does Google collect?
When creating a student account, AHSTW Community School District may provide Google with certain personal information about the student, including, for example, a name, email address, and password. Google may also collect personal information directly from students, such as telephone number for account recovery or a profile photo added to the G Suite for Education account.
When a student uses Google services, Google also collects information based on the use of those services. This includes:
- device information, such as the hardware model, operating system version, unique device identifiers, and mobile network information including phone number;
- log information, including details of how a user used Google services, device event information, and the user's Internet protocol (IP) address;
- location information, as determined by various technologies including IP address, GPS, and other sensors;
- unique application numbers, such as application version number; and
- cookies or similar technologies which are used to collect and store information about a browser or device, such as preferred language and other settings.
How does Google use this information?
In G Suite for Education Core Services, Google uses student personal information to provide, maintain, and protect the services. Google does not serve ads in the Core Services or use personal information collected in the Core Services for advertising purposes.
Does Google use student personal information for users in K-12 schools to target advertising?
No. For G Suite for Education users in primary and secondary (K-12) schools, Google does not use any user personal information (or any information associated with an G Suite for Education Account) to target ads, whether in Core Services or in other Additional Services accessed while using an G Suite for Education account.
Can my child share information with others using the G Suite for Education account?
AHSTW Community School District may allow students to access Google services such as Google Docs and Sites, which include features where users can share information with others or publicly. When users share information publicly, it may be indexable by search engines, including Google.
Will Google disclose my child’s personal information?
Google will not share personal information with companies, organizations and individuals outside of Google unless one of the following circumstances applies:
- With parental or guardian consent. Google will share personal information with companies, organizations or individuals outside of Google when it has parents’ consent (for users below the age of consent), which may be obtained through G Suite for Education schools.
- With [insert name of school/district]. G Suite for Education accounts, because they are school-managed accounts, give administrators access to information stored in them.
- For external processing. Google may provide personal information to affiliates or other trusted businesses or persons to process it for Google, based on Google’s instructions and in compliance with the G Suite for Education privacy notice and any other appropriate confidentiality and security measures.
- For legal reasons. Google will share personal information with companies, organizations or individuals outside of Google if it has a good-faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of the information is reasonably necessary to:
- meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request.
- enforce applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations.
- detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues.
- protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of Google, Google users or the public as required or permitted by law.
Google also shares non-personal information -- such as trends about the use of its services -- publicly and with its partners.